PRINCETON — Gibson County Coroner Misty Hoke confirmed Christopher L. Mellette, 38, died from smoke inhalation in the Sandy Acres mobile home fire Saturday morning.
Hoke said she performed the autopsy the day of the fire.
Hoke said Mellette died at the scene near the front entry of the mobile home (she couldn’t confirm if it was the living room, since it was burned completely).
Mellete’s son, 9, and daughter, 4, were severely burned and are hospitalized at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. The children were sleeping when the fire started in the living room.
Princeton Fire Territory Chief Mike Pflug said previously that they believe faulty electrical equipment in the living room ignited the fire and spread rapidly throughout the mobile home.
Pflug said two other adults were taken by ambulance for injuries and have been released.
A relative reported Monday that benefit accounts are established at Fifth Third Bank for Mellette's funeral and for the medical expenses of the children. Tuesday, she reported that the account at Fifth Third Bank for the funeral expenses is active, but the second account for the children is closed to avoid a conflict with other fundraising efforts that may be planned.