PRINCETON — Events honoring local veterans are planned across the county starting Friday. Here's a look:
• Fort Branch Community School annual Veterans’ Day program at 1:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10 in the school gymnasium. The theme is “Honoring All Who Served.”
Fort Branch Community School choir, band and bell choir are featured as well as essay and poetry readings, a 21-gun salute and “Taps.” A reception for all veterans and their families, follows in the school cafeteria.
• Princeton Veterans Day celebration is at 11 a.m. Saturday at the courthouse gazebo. The event features patriotic music performed by by Helen Kiesel, featured speaker C.T. Montgomery, and the Retired Military Veterans honor guard.
• Oakland City American Legion Post 256 host its annual Veterans Day program at 6 p.m. Saturday. Speaker is Post Commander Jeremy Conder. D inner follows the program. Members and public welcome to attend and bring a side dish.
• A Veterans’ Day memorial dedication for Gibson County World War I veteran Joseph E. Stott (1888-1979), who was from Princeton/Francisco,is at 9 a.m. Saturday at Hight Chapel Cemetery, Princeton. The American Legion/Veteran of Foreign Wars Honor Guard will conduct military honors. Stott fought in the Battle of the Argonne Forest.
• Veterans can receive a free meal Saturday at Applebee’s Grill and Bar, 1820 W Broadway, Princeton.
• Veterans can receive a free car wash Saturday at Max Car Wash, 1309 W Broadway, Princeton.
• Ponderosa Restaurant's annual appreciation event is from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 14. Veterans military service members get a free drink and buffet meal.