PRINCETON — Gibson County Commissioners were scheduled to meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday in special session to look at a recently adopted fireworks ordinance, possibly making changes or rescinding the new regulations.
The ordinance was adopted by commissioners in mid-June following complaints from residents about use of fireworks in unincorporated areas of the county.
The ordinance, adopted unanimously by the board, defines when and where they can be discharged.
Use of consumer fireworks is allowed, according to the ordinance, from 5 p.m. to two hours after sunset June 29-July 3 and July 5-July 9. Consumer fireworks are allowed from 19 a.m. to midnight the day before Memorial Day, Memorial Day, July 4 and the day before Labor Day, Labor Day. They are also allowed from 10 a.m. Dec. 31 to 1 a.m. Jan. 1.
Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged in any park, playground, school or church property or parking lot without written consent of the owner, and cannot be discharged on any public street without prior consent of Gibson County Commissioners, according to the ordinance.
Local communities which have their own fireworks ordinance are not affected by the county ordinance.
If commissioners rescind the county ordinance, the state regulations apply:
• Fireworks can be purchased only by persons 18 years of age or older.
• Fireworks may be used: on the user’s personal property; on the property of someone who has consented to the use of fireworks on that property; a location designated specifically for the use of consumer fireworks.
• Consumer fireworks may be used only between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m. on most days that are not holidays.
• On holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and New Year’s Eve), fireworks may be used between 9 a.m. and midnight.
The times on the following dates are protected in Indiana for consumer use of fireworks and may not be prohibited by local ordinance:
• June 29 to July 3: from 5 p.m. until two hours after sunset;
• July 4: from 10 a.m. to midnight;
• July 5 to July 9: from 5 p.m. until two hours after sunset; and Dec. 31: from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Email Andrea Howe at email@example.com.